Our Family Tree
Learn about the generous donors who have established charitable funds through Stark Community Foundation.
Thanks to the generosity of many, Stark Community Foundation is celebrating a record-breaking year of passionate philanthropy. The Foundation and its family of donors raised a record-breaking $48.8 million in new and planned gifts, awarded $14.3 million in grants and created an all-time high of 43 new charitable funds.
“Stark County is fortunate to have so many passionate residents who want to make a difference in our community, and we’re honored to help them support the causes they care about,” said Mark J. Samolczyk, president and CEO of Stark Community Foundation. “Our milestone year reflects how generous our community is and how inspired people are to pave the way for a stronger and brighter future for Stark County.”
Grants totaling $14.3 million – which came from charitable funds created by local individuals, families, businesses and organizations – were awarded to hundreds of nonprofits in areas ranging from the arts and animal welfare to affordable housing and education.
Of the record-breaking $48.8 million raised in 2021, $35.9 million was in outright gifts and $12.9 million was in planned gifts. These gifts established a record 43 new charitable funds, bringing the total number of charitable funds managed by the Foundation to 860.
Stark Community Foundation experienced many meaningful moments in 2021, with the top five most memorable being:
1. Awarding nearly $430,000 in inaugural Protecting Stark’s Future grants to nonprofits addressing child poverty. This Foundation-led initiative supports collaborative community-based solutions to reduce child poverty at the neighborhood level. Learn more »
2. Receiving our largest gift of $16.7 million to create the Fred F. Silk Charitable Fund. This fund ensures Fred Silk and his lifelong support of the Stark County community will continue forever. Learn more »
3. Offering racial equity workshops to deepen our community’s understanding of structural racism and racial disparities. This effort is part of Stark Community Foundation’s ongoing commitment to advancing racial equity and inclusion and in response to top community needs identified during 2020’s THINKBIG. Learn more »
4. Surpassing $375 million in total assets to steward for community good. Fueled by strong market returns and record-breaking donations in 2021, the growing asset size ranks the Foundation in the top 10 percent of community foundations in the United States today.
5. Announcing a new program in partnership with Community Building Partnership to improve and expand neighborhood revitalization efforts in Stark County. This program will provide neighborhood associations and community organizations with additional programming, training opportunities, expanded communication and financial support. Learn more »
About Stark Community Foundation
Stark Community Foundation is the community’s trusted partner in giving to more than 850 individuals, families, businesses and nonprofits that have created charitable funds to support causes they care about. Ranked in the top 10 percent of community foundations in the United States today, Stark Community Foundation is committed to serving donor needs and strategically addressing local issues. Since it was established in 1963, the Foundation and its family of donors have granted more than $215 million to nonprofits. Learn how you can simplify your giving and amplify your impact through our Center for Partners in Philanthropy at www.starkcf.org.