A Supporting Foundation is a hassle-free alternative to a private foundation. It allows you to take an active approach to your giving, backed by professional staff who make it easy. This giving vehicle is unique because it gives you more control than a charitable fund and less administrative work than a private foundation.
With a Supporting Foundation, you select some of the board members, maintain personal involvement and support the causes and organizations you care about while enjoying the favorable tax treatment of a public charity through your affiliation with Stark Community Foundation. Leave the startup costs, grant administration and tax reporting to us.
How It Works
- You determine the name, identity, mission and focus areas you want to support
- Your foundation operates independently as a separate legal entity with its own 501(c)(3) status—and Stark Community Foundation handles the required tax returns
- You create a board of directors in collaboration with Stark Community Foundation
- You establish your investment strategy and grant priorities
How You Benefit
- Greater control – you are governed by your own board and can take an active role in your grantmaking
- Administrative support – our experienced staff handles all the administrative responsibilities like record keeping, due diligence, grant processing and IRS reporting
- Community expertise – you can tap our team's knowledge of local needs and opportunities
- Family legacy – family members can actively participate in your grantmaking and you can create a lasting legacy by involving future generations
- Reduced burdens – there are no annual payout requirements or excise tax
- Favorable tax status – operate as your own 501(c)(3) organization with favorable tax deductions
Learn about our current Supporting Foundations: William and Minnette Goldsmith Foundation, Health Foundation of Greater Massillon and Henry and Louise Timken Foundation.
If you are interested in learning more or establishing your own Supporting Foundation, contact Bridgette L. Neisel, vice president of advancement, at email@example.com or 330-454-7992 or by filling out the form below.